First-generation California farmer.
Raley’s farmer for close to 40 years.
- Corn contains plant-based compounds which are essential for eye health.(1)
- When dried or popped, corn is considered a whole grain.
Tips from Alan Simonis:
How to Select
- Check the flag leaf hanging off the end of the husk. In Alan’s experience, a longer flag leaf is generally superior to shorter flag leafs.
- Short or missing flag leaf? No problem, look for a green color to the husk and check for small kernels all the way to the tip
How to Store
- Store in the refrigerator’s crisper drawer.
- To shuck, grab silk and husk on one side and pull down. Repeat on other side, like a banana.
A Farmer’s Story
“Raley’s comes to our packing shed every day, leaves a trailer and takes away a full one,” Alan says. “We’ll get an order, pick it the next morning and load it into the waiting trailer to be delivered that day.”
(1) Dietary Sources of Lutein and Zeaxanthin Carotenoids and Their Role in Eye Health, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3705341/