- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 1m
- Serves: 8
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 large butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken stock or reduced-sodium broth
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup California Sun-Dry Julienne Cut Smoked Sun-Dried Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- McCormick Smokehouse Pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large stockpot. Add onion and squash; sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add celery and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add stock and tomatoes to pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes.
- Let mixture cool slightly and transfer to a blender container and puree until smooth. (Or use a stick blender to puree directly in the pot.) Return to pot and add basil, salt and pepper; simmer for 10 minutes more.