Created by Ash Campas on November 30, 2016
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 8h 10m
- Total Time: 8h 20m
- Serves: 8
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. each: coriander and cumin
- 3/4 tsp. each: salt and pepper
- 1/4 plus 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 lb. dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups seeded, peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Stir together paprika, coriander, cumin, salt, pepper and allspice in small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft, stirring often. Add garlic and 1 1/2 tbsp. of spice mixture and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup broth and tomato paste and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up browned bits from bottom of skillet. Transfer to a 4- or 5- quart slow cooker.
- Add remaining broth, lentils, carrots, squash and turnip. Cook, covered, on LOW for 8 hours or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and remaining spice mixture. Ladle stew evenly into 8 bowls and top evenly with yogurt. Sprinkle with cilantro.